No Image Available

Tina Doyle

Bird & Bird

Instructional Designer/IT Trainer

Read more from Tina Doyle

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

1-2-1 training – what are the benefits?

default-16x9

I was recently asked by a manager  what I thought the benefits of "place of work" 1-2-1 training (or even 1-2-2) are.  I told her that the participant requires only one or two hours worth of training on a specific aspect of a subject; this reduces the need for them to be away from their place of work for a day, reduces travelling costs, etc.

Would anyone else like to add their thoughts?

4 Responses

1. Helps with confidence

Hi there, I’m sure I’m not alone when I mention some learners find a classroom setting quite daunting and feel they’re making a return to school days which may not hold positive memories.  Personally I’ve found 1-1 learning works for those who lack confidence, would like to take a slower pace or have specific needs they wish to address during a shorter space of time.  I’ve been offering more 1-1 sessions in my current workplace following a recent email migration and some learners have very specific tasks to learn which would be addressed during a training course but they can’t spare the time. 

Certainly works in my experience!  🙂

2. my three ha’penceworth..

Hi Teen

1. 1:1 workplace training is NOT suitable for all subjects, but is excellent for technical/job specific subjects.

2. Some staff members should NOT be allowed to deliver/lead 1:1 training foa variety of reasons which I won’t go into because they aren’t pertinent to your question.

3. Benefits

a) to the learner; less time taken generally, directly relevant to the job (no need for bridging or linking to the workplace), intense scrutiny from the ‘trainer’, realistic work environment (surroundings etc), low key (not like being sent on a course therefore can be appropriate for remedial training to save face), avoids ‘classroom’ dislike.

b) to the ‘trainer’; implies trust, respect and responsibility in face of learner and colleagues, adds purpose and challenge to their role, varies their work load, increases skills by giving/practicing training skill.

c) to the organisation; quicker (no need to wait until you have 8 or more people), cheaper (you are already paying both people and not paying a trainer, venue, travel etc), guaranteed relevance and quality control, on site testing and confidence in learner’s new abilities, fosters sense of increased value in trainer, helps get trainee integrated into the team more quickly.

I hope this helps

Rus

http://www.coach-and-courses.com

3. Benefits of 1-2-1 Coaching

I run courses both 1-2-1 and group for vocal development and interviewing skills.

My preference always is for the 1-2-1 session because the client gets more out of it because the detailed and specific feedback is targeted at them individually.

I have attended group classes as a student and sometimes felt distant from the teacher and the rest of the group when not involved. 

Regards Vince

4. Thanks

Thanks for the answers above – as a trainer I’ve always been fully convinced of the benefits of 1:1 training.  Unfortunately, not every manager understands the benefits and these answers will go a long way in "convincing" them that 1:1 training has it’s place; not all training should be delivered in the classroom!

Many thanks again

Teen

No Image Available
Tina Doyle

Instructional Designer/IT Trainer

Read more from Tina Doyle
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!