No Image Available

Adam Harwood

Thomas Cook

Senior Trainer

Read more from Adam Harwood

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

CIPD- L&D Practice Advice

default-16x9

Hi there  

I had a meeting with my manager today and discussed the possibility of going for the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in L&D Practice in Spring. I'm going into my third year as a Training Consultant and feel that I need a qualification to enhance my knowledge and take the role further.

I need to put a business case together on why this help me in my role. Before completing this piece of work I was hoping I could share with you what I believe are the benefits of studying for this qualification-

• Longevity to the organisation through performing the course
  • Course will ensure make me more effective in my role/improve skills and confidence
  • Give me further insight for new ideas/share knowledge with team
  • External companies/staff- gain outside L&D knowledge
  • Experienced staff from my organisation have been on the course and all benefited
  • Professional development/feedback- will be able to identify further training needs for myself
  • L&D structure will have qualified member of staff/Gain professional recognition
  • Exposure to all elements of Learning Cycle
  • Continuous Professional Development key in L&D
  • Opportunity to experience training as delegate with training delivered by L&D professional with exposure to many organisations
  • Course uses range of different learning tools (including e-learning/podcasts, so can see how works in practise)
  • Business benefits from project work
From my list of benefits can you see anything I've missed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and put me a step closer to applying for the course

Many thanks

Adam

4 Responses

1. I would ask you …

-Hi Adam,

The question I would ask you if you were asking me to sponsor you for the course is, "What is it that you cannot do at the moment (that the company needs you to do) that this course will enable you to do?

A good two or three sentence answer to that would (to me) outweigh all the points you have already listed.

Paul

2. …to add to Paul’s Comment…..

….. you’ve been in the job for three years and let’s assume that you are getting good feedback from the line/customers and your boss is happy with your outputs.  If I were the boss and you couldn’t answer Paul’s question,  I’d be a bit worried that the only justification for taking the qualification is to add it to your CV so you can move!

It must be the weather and the lousy news but I’m getting cynical in my old age!

Rus 

3. Two good points

Thanks both for giving me your outside view on the qualification.

I understand your thinking and agree it may be tough to jutisfy my case especially taking into consideration the time I’ve spent in L&D.

My arguement is that it will make me more effective in the role and improve our approach to future learning interventions but not sure if it will be enough to get approved…

4. A couple of points

I think what the qualification will do is give you a full understanding of the training cycle – it’s important to get the fundamentals right.  It will also help you to understand the theoretical basis for the work we do in L&D.  We work in a profession with a great deal of ‘received wisdom’ without necessarily knowing why we do thing things we do.  It can be hard to critically evaluate a supplier’s course delivery methods or design a training programme without some real understanding of adult learning, for example.  The assignments (depending on how your particular CIPD programme is delivered) will give you experience of following the consulting and training cycles in a structured and methodical way and the opportunity to address a real business or L&D challenge with the benefit of some supervision.  

Your experience will no doubt contribute greatly to the programme, but the value of undertaking a professional qualification is in developing an accepted level of professional competence – which can only be good for your employer.  Your own experience of studying and working with all the challenges that brings will give you an opportunity to be reflexive, to think about your own experiences and practice, and to gain further understanding and insight into the experience of your learners. 

Let us know what your manager says.  Good luck!

Wayne

No Image Available
Adam Harwood

Senior Trainer

Read more from Adam Harwood
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!