No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

exercises, scenarios etc for change management session

default-16x9

I am seeking any change management exercises, scenarios, ideas, etc
for a half-day change management session.

Many thanks.
jarlath duffy

42 Responses

1. Status Quo Bias
    Hi Jarlath

Why does it seem harder to change our thinking than keep it the same. The answer lies in what psychologists call the “status quo bias” which is a strong tendency for people to get stuck in their present ways of thinking or course of action.

Researchers believe there are two factors at work :

A. The Endowment effect

In a psychology experiment students in one group were rewarded with decorated mugs and in the other group were given large Swiss chocolate bars. All participants were then offered the choice to exchange the gift they had received for the other. Only 10% wanted to do so. Since the rewards were randomly assigned, one would have expected a greater percentage to change.

I created and trialled a modified version of this exercise recently, fitting neatly as a disguised starter exercise for 12 people

12 pencils and 12 biros.
    A5 sheets of paper

1. Signature – using your weaker hand

• “I’m going to ask you to write your signature using your weaker hand. For consistency I’d like you to use the writing implements I’ll hand out in a moment.”

• “OK, here are your writing implements.”
    (alternate pen and pencil as hand out or first half of audience get a pencil, second half get a biro, )

• “I’d like you to spend a few moments writing your signature.”

• “What was it like?”
    Doing things differently is quite hard like using some techniques.

2. Upside down writing

• “Now I’m going to ask you to do some upside down writing.
    You can stick with the writing implements you used for your signature or you can swop.

• “Hands up anyone who wants to swop?”

Let them do it.

3. Confession

• “Right well I have a confession to make … that really was an exercise to see how many people would change their writing implements. I gave them out purely randomly so you’d expect some changes”

Debrief.

In my exercise , only two people out of 12 wanted to change. It isn’t definitive, so I’m going to try again to create a larger sample.

B. Loss Aversion

Loss Aversion is the psychological effect of feeling more pain for loss than joy for gain even if the value of each is the same.

The perceived potential loss in moving from our current thinking, carries a higher psychological penalty than the possibility of gain and so we prefer to stay mentally where we are.

I’ll let you work out how you could demonstrate this effect by putting groups into Loss or Gain Frames.

Hope that helps.

2. Change exercise
    I like this simple exercise it is one of my favourites. Get people in a circle facing inwards. Get everyone to touch hands palm to palm left to right all around the circle. Tell everyone to push hard with their right hand. Then ask them to push even harder – and again. Then ask them to notice what they are doing with their left hands. They will find that they are pushing against their neighbour’s right hand. The moral is that the harder you push when introducing change the harder people resist.
    Mike Burney-Cumming

3. Pictures
    Hi Jarlath

An opener that I have used on a change programme was to put up sets of pictures around the room. They showed:-
    Telephones
    Music players
    Pop singers/groups
    Houses
    Cars
    Fashion
    Writing methods (from typewriters to PDAs)
    Experience (from 1st day at school to first job)
    Experience (from boyfriend/girlfriend to being grandparents)

Each set of pictures went from old to present day e.g the music players went from the HMV dog through to ipod nano

I split the large group into 3 or 4 smaller groups (of differing ages) and asked them to just look at the pics and discuss their experiences/memories. It was a good way of showing them how much change they had already experienced in their lives. It was also a bit of fun because of the difference in ages and memories.

I still have copies of all the pictures in Powerpoint presentations if you would like a copy.

Sue

1. Hi Sue
      Hi Sue

What a wonderful idea!

I know it’s several years later….but I was wondering if it would be possible to have a copy of the presentation slides?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks so much in advance

Annette

2. Hi Sue,
      Hi Sue,

I hope this email finds you well.
      I was also researching for similar activities and if happy to, I would be grateful if you would be willing to forward on a copy of the pictures in your Powerpoint presentation.

Jerome

3. Hi Sue,
      Hi Sue,

I hope this email finds you well.
      I was also researching for similar activities and if happy to, I would be grateful if you would be willing to forward on a copy of the pictures in your Powerpoint presentation.

My email address Is [email protected]

Thank you
      Jerome

4. Hi Sue,
      Hi Sue,

I know it’s been quite a long time but I was wondering if you’d be able to share the Powerpoint presentation with the pictures, please? I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

[email protected]

5. Hi Sue,
      Hi Sue,

I just have seen your post regarding your presentation about change. Would you mind to give me a copy, please? I’ll be having the same topic for a presentation next week.

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance and all the best!

-Sarj

4. pictures of change exercise
    Hello,
    I would also like to receive the pictures of change powerpoint exercise that was suggested for you to use by Sue. Can you please send them to me? My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance for your help

5. POWERPOINT PICTURES

Hi Sue

Was reading your reply with interest and thought this is exactly what I am looking for.

Do you still have the powerpoint with the pics, if so, would be really grateful if you let me have a copy, my email address is

[email protected]

Many thanks

Trevor

6. Change Management

Hi Sue,

Find your idea of introducing the group to change very interesting.

Would really appreciate if you could share your PPT with the pictures with me.

Looking forward to a reply from you.

Regards,

Ankita

[email protected]

7. Change Exercise Pictures
    Hi Sue,
    Would be really grateful if you could send me the powerpoint file with those pictures. My e-mail address is [email protected].
    I thank you in anticipation.

Sunil

8. change pictures

Hi Sue

Please could I request a copy of your presentation if you are still willing to share it. Many thanks  

my mail adresse  [email protected]

thank you very much 

9. Powerpoint Slides

Hi Sue,

i really like the concept of taking the past to the present (and possibly the future) in order to help position change. Would it also be possible to receive a copy of the slides if they are still available.

My email is [email protected]

Many thanks in advance.

10. Change management

Hello,

I would like to receive a copy of presentation on change management. Kindly help me with one. My email id is [email protected]

Thanks and best regards

anup

11. change-related pictures
    Dear Sue,
    I would like to kindly ask you to send the presentation with change-related pictures that you mentioned in one of your old posts.
    Thank you very much in advance!
    Deea

12. change-related pictures

Dear Sue,
     I would like to kindly ask you to send the presentation with change-related pictures that you mentioned in one of your old posts to my email address: [email protected]
    Thank you very much in advance!
    Deea

13. Pictures

Dear Sue,

it would really help me if I could have a copy of your pcitures. Since I recently changed jobs and have a new team and want them to make them aware that change is natural

If you can please send you powerpoint to [email protected]

Many regards

Wim Maton

14. Powerpoint Sharing

Hi Sue!

If you are able I would be very happy to have a copy of your powerpoint slide you mentioned. I love the excercise and would like to do a similar one with a large group I am working with over the next while. 

Thanks for sharing, 

Jason

[email protected]

15. Powerpoint request

Hi Sue,

Yes, it’s another request for a copy of your PPT with the photos illustrating change.  Thanks so much!

[email protected]

Bill Hamersly

16. PPT Pictures on Change

Hi Sue,

Greetings from the US!

You posted your offer in 2007 to share your collection of photos on Change. Here we are 5 years later and I am hoping to take advantage of your most generous offer to share. I am reached at [email protected].

Thank you in advance for sending those along. If I can reciprocate in any way, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Helen

17. Change management
    Hi Sue, I would also love to have your powerpoint and the photos. Many thanks in advance and all the best, Namtip

18. PPT illustrating change

Hi Sue,

Would it be possible for you to forward me the PPT of illustrations please?

I have a meeting next week I think it would be perfect for 🙂

[email protected]

Thanks

Frances

19. Presentation

Hi Sue,

Would greatly appreciate if you are willing to share the presentation with me at [email protected]

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Cho

20. Copy of change pictures

Hi there

I appreciate that it is a long long time ago but is there any chance that I could get a copy of Sue's PowerPoint slides with the change pictures.  Sounds just like the thing I am looking for to kick off a change management session.  My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in anticipation

Jill

21. Hi Sue,
    Hi Sue,

I just have seen your post regarding your presentation about “Change”. Would you mind to give me a copy, please? I’ll be having the same topic for a presentation next week.

You may email it to..
    [email protected]

Thanks in advance and all the best!

-Sarj

Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!