No Image Available

John B

Training Manager

Read more from John B

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

First Steps as a Training Manager

default-16x9

Hi all,

I'm taking my first steps as a newly appointed Training Manager and would like to hear about your must-do (and must-not!) hints and tips, to help me shape my first few months in role. 

I have been a Trainer for many years and have been involved in, and led, many training projects from inception through to completion, and beyond. This is, however, my first role a Manager where I will be responsible for the training provision of an entire organisation - a really exciting and somewhat scary responsibility all wrapped up into one!

I am interested in hearing about your must-do activities as a Training Manager (or similar title) when you step into a new role in a new company... what do you do first? How do you start to compile a list of training requirements and prioritise them (I have an unexciting 'TNA' spreadsheet for this, is there something better)? Do you have any softer tips around how I should present myself to the business? Any general tips around scheduling your priorities? What are my "don't forget to's..."?

Would love to hear anything you have to share.

Cheers,
JB

One Response

1. Good luck with the new job!
    Good luck with the new job!

I have learned lots from making mistakes when I was first promoted. 2 key things to do:

1. Meet with all Heads of Function individually to introduce yourself and find out more about their expectations from you; their current training needs. Also give them an overview of their role in supporting an training iniative you can provide. Give them a taste of your vision for your function e.g. what you could be providing for them within the next 12 months

2. Deliver something on Heads’ shopping list early to keep them on your side.
    By the way: If you’re in need of any training materials, I may be able to help.

Good luck
    Bryan

No Image Available
John B

Training Manager

Read more from John B
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!