Author Profile Picture

Richard Fielding

Talk Talk Mobile Phone Services Ltd

Learning and Development Manager

Read more from Richard Fielding

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Succession Planning

default-16x9

I've recently joined an organisation in which there is not much business growth and not much movement either - especially in relation to new openings in management roles. Therefore, the non-management colleagues feel there is little opportunity for progression, so are more likely to exit the business to seek other opportunities or remain in the business with little motivation.

My initial thoughts are to still provide succession planning for the organisation based upon the ideas that movement will eventually happen, be it  sooner or later and that a business needs to be prepared. For those being developed, they are being kept engaged and are in the best position to take on a management role in our organisation should one arise.

Without this approach, how can we keep our ambitious colleagues engaged in the organisation?

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you.

4 Responses

1. Hi Richie, It is important
    Hi Richie, It is important for mangers to be open about the reality of the situation regarding the probability of people leaving the organisation to get on. I have been very lucky and have worked with some exceptional team members who I have managed and it is much easier to deal with this issue if they can be open about their plans knowing that I was as keen to develop and help them for roles inside or outside of the company.
    As high potential and high performing individuals they were all very happy and capable of doing the leg work, additional networking, research etc. to identify their options, internal and external.
    The interesting factor is that this search usually took some months and even if folks leave the longer they stay the better from a turnover cost viewpoint.
    In addition to this general approach development programmes aimed at key talent which develops specific skills for the next level, are accredited so provide recognised qualifications such as ILM and involve some real time projects delivered over a 12/18 month period can be very effective in retaining your key talent.
    The accredited qualification comes at the end and possibly after the submission of a written assignment which people will stay on for. This sort of programme can also include social projects which are close to the heart of the participants like working in schools/charities etc.
    Hope this helps, cheers, Nick

1. Nick, thanks so much for
      Nick, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Your response has been really useful and given me lots to consider. Richard

2. Hi Richie, do you know about
    Hi Richie, do you know about Working Out Loud circles?
    Groups of 5-ish people work together to help each of them achieve their individual goals, no matter what they are. They commit to meeting for a hour a week over 12 weeks following a prescribed set of activities for each session.

One of the aims of WOL circles is that participants build a bigger network of people who can help them achieve their ambitions. The resources/tools and approach is free as long as you give the relevant copyright credits.

This drives Social and Collaborative learning and as long as people aren’t told what their goals should be and be free to choose what they are themselves, it should create engagement.

Check it out here:
    http://workingoutloud.com/circle-guides/

Hope that helps.

3. One of the points of WOL
    One of the points of WOL circles is that members fabricate a greater system of individuals who can enable them to accomplish their desire. The assets/devices and approach is free as long as you give the pertinent copyright credits. The intriguing component is that this pursuit as a rule took a few months and regardless of whether people leave the more they remain the better from a turnover cost perspective. Notwithstanding this general assignment service uk methodology improvement programs went for key ability which creates particular aptitudes for the following level, are authorize so give perceived capabilities, for example, ILM and include some ongoing undertakings conveyed. This drives Social and Collaborative learning and insofar as individuals aren’t told what their objectives ought to be and be allowed to pick what they are themselves, it ought to make commitment.

Author Profile Picture
Richard Fielding

Learning and Development Manager

Read more from Richard Fielding
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!