No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Team Building Games for Young People

default-16x9

You may also find the following articles of interest:

1. Team Building Exercises?
  2. Virtual Team Building, can it be done?
  3. Presentation Skills and Team Building Skills

I'm in need of a team working game/exercise for a group of about 90 young people. I'm already using a shipwrecked type game where they prioritise what to keep and why, so I'm looking for something a bit different.

Alternatively, I'd be happy for a 'variations on a theme' approach where I split the team into say four smaller groups and each group of about 20 undertakes a slightly different exercise to each other.

I need the game to last for about half an hour.

Many thanks in advance.
Adele Wright

20 Responses

1. A seriously creative tool for young people
    For the last five years I have been running a brand and design consultancy, working with a diverse range of clients from owner managers through to multi-national companies. Over this time I have been developing a range of creative tools and techniques that we have used for client interactions.

For much of this time I have also been co-running a youth group (12 – 16 year olds) and have successfully used a number of the creative tools with the group.

One tool in particular – Cue Cardz – has been hugely successful with strategy groups and youth groups – so much so that I’m developing it as a standalone product. It is an extremely powerful and versatile associative thinking tool and can be used as a five minute ice-breaker, an interactive and stimulating one-off exercise or the central focus of a bite-sized workshop.

As it happens I’ve recently been asked to develop a variation of the tool for use by the Scouts. Let me know if you’d like more info.

2. interactive & fun game
    I have devised a game based on a worldwide epidemic where the delegates have to utilise time management, delegation, team motivation and creative thinking to solve the puzzle. Can last anywhere from half an hour to 3 hrs depending on how many subtasks you add. Let me know if you would like a copy.

3. Team Building Games
    Messsage for Lynette Moran.

I’d love a copy of your game. Thank for offering to share this.

Barbara Elborn

4. I have four different versions of your game
    Hi Adele,

I have four variations of your game which you are more than welcome to if you want them. They are:
    1. A plane crash in Norway
    2. Chased by black bears in Canada
    3. Eaten by crocodies in Australia
    4. Lost in space

Regards Hilary

5. Me too please
    Lynette

Please may I have a copy of your game also.

Regards
    Hilary

6. oxfam game etc
    I seem to remember a fantastic game from Oxfam; it was about money, trading etc. I saw it used with youth groups and with youth workers.
    There’s also Zen Obelisk which used to be very popular for the same kind of group – although I don’t remember much about it!

7. May I join the list!
    Hilary, I would love to have a copy of your variations to the ship wreck team builder. I have used the ship wreck many times in the past but have forgotten some of the situations that are added. I would like to try the variations as I have been asked to give some team builder training in the near future.

8. Can I too!!
    Lynette may I have a copy of your team builder activity too? If there is anything I can help you with just ask!
    Thanks!!

9. Team Game for Young People
    Hi Adele

I have a team game called “Printer’s Devil” (a printer’s apprentice) that I ran a short while ago for 200 Year 11/12 pupils. In the game they simulate planning a week’s schedule for a printing firm. It seemed to go down well.

Let me know if you would like a copy.

Regards

Phil Wheeliker

10. Team building with ‘real’ characters
    Adele,
    I often create characters for survival (e.g. life boat) exercises.
    I create characters that players might actually meet, or at least be aware of in the community.
    With teenagers, for example, I might have
    A 15 yr old single parent.
    A drug user.
    A priest.
    An 88 year old survival expert.
    A gay person.
    The mother of 3 children, who had recently abandoned them due to depression
    You get the idea!

People can choose to share as much or as little info on their cards as they wish.

If I use the life boat exercise, depending on how many participants, I will have observors, each sitting (outside the boat) each focusing attention on one person in the boat.
    Observors also double up as SHARKS who are swimming around waiting for lunch – so no swimming along holding the boat, which has a massive hole and it is impossible to stop the water flowing in.
    The ONLY way any of them can make it an island (where thay could survive and thrive) is for one of them to be thrown (no volunteers!) overboard.
    If they do not do it in an unspecified time, they will ALL be sharkfood.

I allow no escape hatches (One of my favourites was “Let’s all cut off one arm each and throw it overboard!”). I want to make the ‘point’ that, in real life, we often jettison other people – be it their ideas, their values, their hopes and dreams – in pursuit of our own ‘survival’.
    Or we experience being outcasts because people don’t value or support our dignity or dreams.

The process of making the decision (e.g. Ganging up. Taking sides. Focusing on the immediate, rather the the future) will tell them something about the culture they are likely to create on the island.
    That is the way many teams, and other relationships ‘work’.

The boat usually sinks.

If there is time, I get the observors to give feedback on what worked and what didn’t, then have them swap places and repeat the exercise (with a different set of characters).

The second group usually act the way the first did – but the second time around most of them really ‘get it’!

11. Request to Lynette
    Lynette,
    I would also like a copy of your game if possible, thank you very much

Michael

12. Training games for teams
    Adele

I have found the exercises given in the Trainers’ Pocketfile books really good – they last about an hour. The cards are already to photocopy as many times as required. Particularly useful for a younger group is “Viking Attack” where the group are given a number of clue cards shared amongst the team. They need to share the information without showing their cards and between them come up with answers to several questions. Management Pocketbooks can be contacted on 01962 735573.

Desiree Cox

13. group games for young people
    Hi Lynette, Like several others I would really appreciate a copy of the game
    many thanks

14. Training Game
    Hello,

I am working for a youth group in a school, of 15-16 years olds and wondered if I could get a copy of your game Lynette?

Thanks,

Win

07958 343 981
    [email protected]

15. Team Building Game

Hi Lynnette

I would love a copy of your team building game please – [email protected]

I’m attending an industry day at a local school for 13-18 year olds and am trying to find something that I can use to fill approx 30 mins max which will get the group to work together as a team.

Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!