Author Profile Picture

Adrian Pitt

Develop-meant Training Consultants

Owner

Read more from Adrian Pitt

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

“Thank you for flying Adrian Airlines!”

default-16x9

An ex-colleague of mine used to say that us trainers are a bit like actors. Regardless of how we're feeling on the day, we stand at the front and perform!

I regularly liken myself to an air steward when I'm delivering a training session. For up to seven hours on this long-haul "flight" I ensure I'm:

• All "eyes and teeth, eyes and teeth"
  • Making my "passengers" aware of health and safety procedures
  • Fulfilling basic human needs
  • Keeping a keen eye on folk who are a little highly strung
  • Asking one or two bods to stop playing with their mobile phones
  • Dealing with people's "baggage" !!

Can you relate to my analogy? Have you any of your own?

Ade.

6 Responses

1. Loving the air steward
    Loving the air steward analogy. Can definitely relate to that! I often use the actor analogy when training customer service. The uniform (if worn) or work clothes are their costume and the ‘shop floor’ is their stage. Asking them to write a review of their performance as if they were a film critic can help the point ‘hit home’.

Sue

1. That’s a really great idea,
      That’s a really great idea, Sue! We deliver Customer Service training, too if I can pinch that idea?!

Any insights from the rest of the group?

2. Ade, love the analogy and can
    Ade, love the analogy and can TOTALLY relate. Sometimes I feel more like a child minder or a zoo keeper, but that’s only on really bad days (thankfully rare). I have thought of the ‘acting’ comparison before and have even given myself the pre-talk “C’mon now Jane, game face on, smile, lift your shoulders, deep breath…” but I think I prefer your analogy.

1. Thanks Jane,
      Thanks Jane,

When I start going around the room asking: “Tea? Coffee?” I’ll know I’ve taken it a bit too far!

Any other sparkling analogies out there?

Ade.

3. Hi Ade, I have often found my
    Hi Ade, I have often found my job to be akin to a politician. I work internally in a highly charged, highly emotive industry where people are under the cosh and people often ask quite emotive questions. I have to ensure that I don’t let my personal opinions cloud the activities that I’m involved in or the way I answer the questions asked – not always easy.

1. Cheers Clive, sounds like you
      Cheers Clive, sounds like you’re constantly having to check yourself? As you say, not easy!

Author Profile Picture
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!