No Image Available

Alan Butland

Promise Development Ltd

Training and Development Consult

Read more from Alan Butland

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

TRAINER QUALIFICATIONS

default-16x9

I am researching trainer qualifications for a new organisation. I would like to hear your experience of the relative merits of the CIPD, ITOL and TAP routes, or any others. Can you help please?

6 Responses

1. TAP, ROLF, LFT

Alan,

I haven’t worked my way through everything yet (but I’m working on it).

So far my thoughts are:

ROLF – this unfortunately doesn’t appear to exist any more, but it’s still an interesting idea. The basic thought was to give basic information and resources to the delegates, with a real-life question and tell them to work out the answer. The trainer and other delegates are there as a resource.

LFT – this is the trainer qualification/method offered by Happy (aka Happy Computers). It’s not a well recognised trainer cert at the moment – but has a lot to recommend it. Some of the ideas are very TAP, the bit that I liked a lot was the "open & guided questions", where you would ask "which button on the toolbar do you use for X", instead of "where do you click now".

In terms of what’s best for the user, I found this to be interesting and helpful, and use it wherever I can.

TAP – this is probably the most recognised of the many trainer qualifications, and in my experience the one most requested for job roles.

In actual usage, I’ve found that I can’t put all of it into practice for my training as the whole process takes too long. My courses now run 1-1.5 hours max. If you are offering full day(s) courses, then you have the time.

One of the positives, for me, was that you can take away and put into practice parts of TAP rather than *having* to use everything. For the last 9 years (of being TAP approved), I have continued to use their questioning techniques.

The TAP options have expanded to now include other types of training, including elearning and blended learning which the others don’t. The whole TAP system is available not just for trainers, but also SME’s and Manager’s.

I’ve looked briefly at some of the other qualifications, including TPMA (from the IITT), ITOL and CIPD – they all seem to be very similiar – focusing on the training delivery. Due to the ones that I’ve already taken, my personal opinion is that it would be nice to have them, but they don’t look like they will add anything major to my current skill set – more that they will confirm what I’ve already got.

Hope this helps – if you would like to discuss this further, please contact me.

— Michelle Kaye IT Trainer Boodle Hatfield

2. Train the trainer – time to change?

Hi Alan

An interesting time to ask this question..

Firstly have you read the other TZ threads on this:

All Change

The CIPD have recently said they are revamping their qualifications, and this means a change to the CTP programme to a full framework level 3 programme, they are also introducing a level 5 diploma programme in L&D – but details are short as the qualifications are not available until 2010

TMPA is not a course as such but an assessment of competence, it is is interesting that the IITT have dropped TAP and now only recognise TMPA (which has a diverse range of options to achieve it) – important if you want flexibility. This is a new qualification so not as known as many other….yet… but is flexible and robust and linked to the national framework if required.

There are other short courses to consider – depending what it is you want to achieve:

• PTTLS – the gov’s required minimum to train adults
    • ELF – an accelerated learning approach to training from Matrix42 – can lead to PTTLS or TPMA
    • LFT from Happy Computers

Whatever route you go, look at future proofing your training team – so either:

1. Go for a short punchy programme that gives you the skills/ behaviours you need
    2. Think about the qualification framework and the future development of the team

Hope this helps

Mike
    RapidBI

3. Training Qualifications – CPLP

A growing and valuable certification is the ASTD – CPLP , Certified Professional in Learning and Performance.  This certification is based upon nine areas of competency therefore a holistic approach to linking learning with performance.

Kimberly Seeger, CPLP

[email protected]

4. TRAINING QUALIFICATIONS

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  I agree it was a good time to ask the question with so many changes in the offing.

This was my first question on TrainingZone.  I have posted the question on a couple of other sites and I have been most impressed by the quality of the TrainingZone responses. 

kind regards

Alan

5. Thanks and welcome!

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your comment and question – yes the TZ members are a very switched on bunch who have a whole heap of expertise at their fingertips – we hope you come back and visit again!

Verity (editor)

6. TRAINER QUALIFICATIONS

Hi Verity

I shall continue to be a regular visitor.

kind regards

Alan

No Image Available
Alan Butland

Training and Development Consult

Read more from Alan Butland
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!