No Image Available

John Greene

Prescription training

MD

Read more from John Greene

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Trainers – Associate vs Employed

default-16x9

Has any one tried employed trainers? We have 11 associates at the moment.

Obviously there is the ease of booking employed trainers as they'd work for you (say) 2 days a week, but presumably it's more costly (pension, on cost, downtime when they are not training). Also you might be asking them to travel more as you try to fill their diary, that might mean they find it hard going and don't carry on working for you long term.

Has anyone tried both models?

4 Responses

1. some thoughts

1. ask them- some may only be self employed because they were made redundant and it was a faster way back to earning than looking for a PAYE role

2. if PAYE is really more costly than the day rate you are paying associates then you are not paying them a great deal at the moment.

3. PAYE part time is a great way for many associates to go….it provides a steady base income but leaves time for independent business.

4. many consultancies use both employed and associate…the route to success is to make them both feel that they are as valued in the team as the other

I hope that helps

Rus

2. Quality & consistency

I agree with everything Rus has discussed and would add:

…..a factor to consider is your ability to manage the quality and consistency of delivery. With an employed group, you would ordinarily have a KPI to monitor, coach and assess for the quality and consistency of delivery, especially if you are delivering to 'customers' of your organisation. This is more challenging when working with external consultants as they will naturally rely on the fact that they are 'experienced' facilitators, but sometimes with no actual benchmark to measure that experience. It is difficult to ensure a consistent delivery across consultants (as it can be internally with employed people too, unless you have adopted a credible benchmark and have built this into your KPIs).

If you want to discuss this further, please get in touch.

regards,

Adrian

3. We have a KPI to monitor at
    We have a KPI to monitor at our http://freelancehouse.co.uk/ It’s more convenient for us to have internal consultants, you know. It’s more profitable. Though, it requires a lot of work and patience. I work as a training manager and can’t imagine what I’d do if I had to train external ones. Never tried to do that.

4. We only use freelance
    We only use freelance associates, and feel that is a win win, they only work on projects that they are interested in and we have a wide and diverse team that can meet the needs of our customers, we still have KPI’s , many of our team have been with us for many, many years now. From a commercial perspective it is useful not to have a fixed overhead, plus we can scale up or down the design and delivery teams as we need to.
    I also feel we get added value from freelance associates as they work with different clients and bring that additional knowledge back to our clients.
    Many of our consultants are also really good at managing their well being, so they don’t get burnt out. They can do this because they can pick and choose when and where they work which internal teams can’t. Great question

Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!