No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

What coaching models do you use?

default-16x9

You may also find the following articles of interest:

1. Coaching Exercises
  2. Originator of the GROW coaching model
  3. How to squeeze every last drop from your coaching performance

I am looking to implement a coaching course covering the very basics.

What coaching models do you use and why?

Thanks Sarah
Sarah Money

8 Responses

1. TGROW
    Hi Sarah
    In my opinion one of the emost basic but very useful is TGROW.

2. Coaching
    Yeah, I use GROW alot – Goal(using SMART to set), Reality, Options, Will / Way . Also if you are doing specific observations the funnel question technique is really good.
    Hope this helps, if you want any more just drop me a mail
    Thanks

3. Coaching Models
    All the best models are simple ones. GROW is probably the best known, but try also:

POWER (Positive/Own Part/What, specifically/Ecology/Real

GAINS (Goal/Assessment/Ideas/Next Steps/Support

STEER (Sopt/Tailor/Explain/Encourage/Review)

For explaining change (and deep personal development) you could use Kubler-Ross.

Happy to give more detail on any of these if you would like!

Regards

Paul

4. Which coaching model – what application
    Hi
    Rather than share what models I use, let me ask a question first – what is it that you are trying to achieve?

What type of coaching? – behavioural, skills or attitude?

GROW is a powerful tool but only for performance coaching – it is not the best model for a manager to use with a subordinate.

It is best to have a small range of tools knowing their strangths and limitations.

Many inexperienced trainers and coaches take one model and ‘apply it’ to their client and wonder why they do not get the performance.

As well as the models listed so far also consider –
    Stop, start, continue change
    STAR
    Well formed outcomes (NLP)
    OUTCOMES
    ACHIEVE

All searchable on google

Good luck

5. beg pardon
    Mike states
    “GROW is a powerful tool but only for performance coaching – it is not the best model for a manager to use with a subordinate.”

Does this presume that managers do not performance coach their subordinates?

If Mike means that GROW isn’t appropriate for directive leadership then he may have a point though I have seen grow used in this environment…
    G; your goal is…
    R; the reality is ….which leaves the
    O; options as follows however,you..
    W; will do it this way

it ain’t coaching but it is the same(ish)model.

Also consider the 7 C’s of coaching and the OSCAR model

Finally…
    it ain’t the model that you use but the way that you use it…that’s what gets results
    (apologies to the Bangles)
    Rus

6. More than GROW as a coaching model

Rus you are correct
    GROW is a great tool but a little over done and understood. Most people only use it at a superficial level (a little like SMART objectives are often used).
    My concern is that other professionals will pick on one model and apply it as the universal solution.

My key message has to me chose the right tool for the job – not just one that appears to be talked about most often.

I have many Coaching models and Management models available in jpg and ppt format on my site.

7. CIGAR
    I like the CIGAR model as it compares the “As Is” to the Ideal (“To be”), defining an action plan to close the gap, with a review built in with further actions/adjustments if necessary. This is close to the methodology which a lot of leading management consultancy firms use on projects, with great success. C- The Current Reality, I – Ideal, G – Gaps, A – Action, R – Review

8. Coaching Models

I have just newly joined the ranks of coaching, but I have found that I use a small number of models depending on what and how I am coaching.

Currently I am working with a professional with regards to presentations and using the correct graphical presentations, and to start with I am using EDIP.

Regards

Dave

Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!