Author Profile Picture

Adrian Pitt

Develop-meant Training Consultants

Owner

Read more from Adrian Pitt

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Your strangest piece of course feedback

default-16x9

Have you ever received some odd feedback following the delivery of one on your courses?

I mean, you've tried your utmost to pander to every learning style. You've kept the programme fun and interactive. You've recognised when your audience are "glazing over" and changed the pace.

Your evaluation form attempts to capture quality information and yet, you get, as I did, having trained in an old council building one day:

"The tea urn was too far down the corridor".

<Sigh>

Ade.

www.develop-meant.com

4 Responses

1. Hi Ade (me again). My take is
    Hi Ade (me again). My take is that learners don’t care as much as you do about the learning aspect of it (they usually haven’t been CIPD or TAP or ILM trained) and don’t care about it it in the same way a trainer/tutor would.

What they care about is the whole thing as an experience. They, then, focus on the aspect of it they were least happy with which might have nothing to do with what you did or didn’t do. People will always care about stuff that you don’t but if it puts a dampener on the experience for them then it matters.

We used to ask people what they thought about the room we used for training which was a bit of a dilemma as that was the only room we had and nothing could change it….(we hated it, the learners hated it but that’s what we had). Lesson from that is why ask them about the room when there’s nothing we can do.

If they mentioned the tea urn, they probably enjoyed your part of it.

1. Thanks Clive.
      Thanks Clive.

She was obviously a “glass half empty” (or, come to think about it, a “turn urn half empty” kinda gal! Ade

2. From Chris in our LinkedIn
    From Chris in our LinkedIn group:
    “We all get the “frustrating ” venue comments that really do not reflect on our teaching style – do we have to accept that this is part of the learning experience? I think course feedback is really valuable if we actually react and act, at that point even strange should be seen as useful?”

3. From Sue in our LinkedIn
    From Sue in our LinkedIn group:
    “After delivering an in-house course at the company premises where all the delegates worked, one person answered ‘no’ to the question ‘Was the venue easy to find?'”

Author Profile Picture
Newsletter

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!