Navigating the learning evaluation maze
Approaches to learning evaluation
- goal-based evaluation
- system-based evaluation
- Reactions of the learner – what did they think and feel about the training?
- Learning – what was the resulting increase in knowledge or capability?
- Behaviour – Was there an improvement in behaviour and performance?
- Results – What effects on the organisation have resulted from the learner's performance?
Tools and techniques
Return on Investment (ROI)
Return on Expectation (ROE)
- Define – what are the business requirements?
- Measure – what targets do we need to meet?
- Analyse – what needs to be learnt?
- Design – how should we teach it?
- Develop – does our prototype match our design?
- Implement – did the implementation meet business and instructional requirements?
Total Value Add
- What do we need to know?
- How can we find it out?
- What are we going to do with the findings?
Charity Director. Consultant in OD, strategic HR and leadership development. Author of five books including Delivering E-Learning (Kogan Page, 2009). Interested in strategy, OD, leadership, technology, evidence and evaluation. Available for writing and speaking.