An online initiative has been launched by the Resource Development Network to provide free online training in Internet skills to students and lecturers in further education.
The Virtual Training Suite, at http://www.vts.rdn.ac.uk hsa eleven "teach yourself" tutorials to enable students in further education to find high quality information on the Internet to support their course work. Each tutorial has been written by an expert “tour guide” - a further education teacher or librarian with knowledge of both their subject area and the Internet.
The 11 tutorial titles are:
- Internet for Art, Design and Media
- Internet for Business Studies
- Internet for Construction
- Internet for Engineering (General and Automotive)
- Internet for Hairdressing and Beauty
- Internet for Health and Social Care
- Internet for Hospitality and Catering
- Internet for Information and Communication Technology
- Internet for Leisure, Sport and Recreation
- Internet for Performing Arts
- Internet for Travel and Tourism
The Resource Discovery Network (RDN) is a national Internet service for learners, teachers and researchers funded by the higher and further education funding bodies and the Learning and Skills Council via the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC), and by Research Councils such as the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).